Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Not Your Grandma's Meatloaf


My grandma is a great cook. She cooked for us a lot while I was growing up and I always looked forward to dinner at her house. Her meatloaf however... not so great (to say the least). So I've had this idea for years that I did NOT like meatloaf. This recipe 100% changed my mind. I LOVE meatloaf! Who knew!




1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 /2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
1/2 cup ketchup
1 recipe Sweet and Sour Sauce

Combine all ingredients. Press lightly into 5"x9" loaf pan. Bake in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain fat. Pour about 1/3 of sauce over meatloaf and return to the oven for 30 minutes longer. Serve with remaining sauce.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
1 (12 ounce) jar red currant jelly*

Cook over low heat until jelly is melted and sauce is heated through.


*Red currant jelly is sometimes hard to find. I have used strawberry and apple and the sauce turns out just fine.

**Based on a recipe from Favorites cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment